Saturday, August 1, 2009

New writing project set, already have publisher

Well, my next project is all set -- a true life story about a gruesome murder that occurred here in Carroll County in 1993. Three young county residents, two males and a female, hijacked a 19-year-old when their pickup broke down on a county road late one night. They shot him twice with a shotgun, once in the lower belly and, when he began screaming too loud, once under the chin. They then chopped his arms and legs off with an ax, cut his penis off and put it in his pocket and, as a final indignity, cut out his heart and passed it around, all kissing it. When they were through playing with his remains, they stuffed it all in the front seat of his pickup and burned it.

The guy for whom I worked 16 years in the newspaper business has a publishing company and he will publish it. I know it will sell like hot cakes in this part of the county because it was the most grisly murder ever to occur in these parts. And, a guy with three newspapers can promote the hell out of it.

I figure it will take me until the end of the year to write it at 500 words or so a day. I'm coming out of the chute blazing come Monday and I still should have plenty of time to revise my vampire book. I'll still post here occasionally, should have time for that, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard you talk about this event before, though never, I think, in such detail. What a gruesome bit of insanity.

There's gotta be a hell, I tell you, because people like that need a place to go.

Jim V

Jazz said...

It's a hellacious story, Jim, terrible in all respects. It took something out of me to cover it from start to finish and writing this book is going to be a painful reminder of that. Few stories point out man's inhumanity toward his fellow man any better. Hell is almost too good for this trio of psychopaths.