Thursday, August 13, 2009

Getting down with it


Whee doggie, did 600 words yesterday and 770 today. All together, with what I had written in the past, up to a little more than 4,300 words now and I've just scratched the surface.

Don't know why, but anymore when I decide to do any serious writing I do it on the laptop in the living room. I have the whole damned coffee table covered with files and galleys and notebooks. I try to keep it all covered over with a towel when I'm not working, but hell, who puts a towel over a pile of stuff on their coffee table?

Obviously, I do. I'm not much into what's proper or not. I don't expect a visit anytime soon by Good Housekeeping -- though I wouldn't be too surprised if "Better Hovels & Garbage" didn't contact me about doing a feature spread. That could be about as close to fame as I'll ever get.

I've thus far resisted beginning the edit/rewrite process on the book I loosely call the vampire novel. I know I have to do it but I'm not in a big rush. Probably in the next couple weeks I'll apply an hour or so a day to that. Don't wanna get carried away and lose my "retired" status. I worked too hard to gain it.

Don't know why, but I've been fighting the urge to buy a new laptop for several weeks. Came very close a couple times, especially last weekend when the state was holding a sales tax holiday for certain things--including computers up to $1,500.

I don't really need it as the (three year) old one I have is working fine. I bought it when my mom was in the hospital; well, actually the last night I stayed there with her, which was the next to last night of her life, I had it there. She was transferred to hospice and died after one night in the nursing home.

Looking ahead, I have a trip to California coming up in November and that will be somewhat expensive. I'd be well advised to save my money for that. When I go somewhere I don't like to play the pauper. My first wife used to chew my ass constantly about grabbing the check every time we'd go out partying with friends and for some of the massive tips I left. I didn't think $50 was too much tip for a $60 meal, especially not after I'd just won about a grand at the dog track in Yuma. Share the wealth, that was my motto.

Another time, a TV news anchor friend of mine had a booze bill of $185 for his table sent over to my table as a joke. I smiled over his way and threw $250 on the girl's plate and refused to undo the joke when he rushed over and tried to reimburse me. I guess I liked to play the role sometimes, but I was making good money at the time.

Fortunately, my wife didn't see some of the spending when Kenny and I would take the girls from the Country Boy over there for an evening of dog races and party-hearty. The girls loved it, of course. They got betting money, drinks, big steaks and prime rib and whatever else their pretty little hearts desired. A couple of them were my lovers during that time. I'd give anything to see them now, after all these years. One is dead, so I'll never see her again, but I think her sister is still alive and well. I might find out when I go west, being the sneaky old devil I am.

Ah, the trouble with old guys like me is that we live too much in the past. That's understandable, since our future is so limited. The good times have come and gone for the most part. Young women look right through us anymore. They don't even see us. We are invisible.

Not to the older women, apparently. I talked to a bunch of them after my brother-in-law's funeral last week. A couple of them weren't bad looking. Widows probably with some change in the bank. I was talking to my sister today and she told me those old gals were really impressed with me, said I had "personality" and all. One of them (might be the one I was flirting with a bit) said I was. "cute." *L

Oh, well. Shut up and have another beer, Jazzbo. Thank you very much, don't mind if I do.

3 comments:

Ellen Kimbro said...

"Better Hovels and Garbage!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Doesn't surprise me the women said you've got personality Dobbins.

Resist buying that laptop for sure. I can't stand the way things are built to be obsolete within just a few years. I'm going to try to keep my old Acer for another three or four years at least.

I'd say you're working at the coffee table because it's too dang hot to be out on the front porch. I was wondering about that, whether you've been sitting out there working.

Jazz said...

Yo, Ellen, glad you got a kick out of my hovel comment. I wasn't joking a whole lot. *heh

I too have an Acer laptop and the one I was looking at is an Acer. Somebody was telling me the other day that Acers just don't work and you can't find one that will. I had to disagree with that, never had a minute's trouble from mine.

Oh, I'll be on that "poach" when the temp gets right for sure. I do a lot of writing (and browsing) out there. I can set up out there and write like it's going out of style when cooler weather returns.

Did you get my email? Mondays are fine with me, just let me know when.

Jazz said...

Oh, what I meant to mention and didn't is, I have this Dell desktop I've used for 5 years and it works fine. I wrote Parallel Blues on it, in fact, thought Smoke & Thunder was done on the old Gateway I had before this.

I just feel more comfortable writing on the laptop--whether it's in the living room or on the porch, seems I can put things together better on it. I did the whole vampire novel on it, too.

It's not a power thing because this one is much more the powerful, processor and RAM and every other way.

Don't know what it is. Definitely something, though.