Thursday, August 6, 2009

Getting ready to head out

I'll be heading out to Ohio in a bit. It's a trip I'm not looking forward to, but a necessary one.

I was a lot happier the last time I was in West Chester, on the tail end of my "Poetry Road" trip. That was in October 2006. I had made that 2,300 mile drive and videoed all those poets and felt I had accomplished something.

Turned out, it wasn't that big a deal, even if it took me a solid year to glean out two hours of video from the dozen or so I had. I learned just how little I knew about putting something like that together. And I also learned that I would never again take on a project that long, though I enjoy shooting shorter stuff.

I feel lucky that I managed to get a smoking room at the Comfort Inn where I'll be staying tonight. They are becoming more rare, as some chains have stopped offering them altogether. So I'll get to burn a few and will probably hook up the laptop for a dose of that complimentary wifi. Who knows, I might even have a couple of brews, it's possible.

My brother Eddie and I are going up today and then coming home sometime tomorrow afternoon. The funeral is at 11 tomorrow morning, so we'll have plenty of time to hang around some with the family afterward.

Of course, there will be a lot of food after the funeral, that's something we Southern people (even those transplanted to Ohio) put a lot of stock in. I think that's pretty common in a lot of cultures, because food is one of those "comfort" items. I used to treat food strictly as fuel to keep me going forth, but now, as I've aged, it has gained much more importance. That happens with older people, the replacement of other joys of the past with food.


I remembered to stick my cell phone charger in the bag. I'll probably do a lot of texting today during the ride and will no doubt put the whammy on the phone battery. I just got into texting the past few weeks and it's fun, though I'm slow as molasses in January.

Wrap this up. I might post an entry from Ohio this evening, depends. Hope everyone has a good day and adios until later.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to have started replacing food for other enjoyments a little early. *L

I enjoyed seeing those readings. Would you have a disk of that I could buy, Jazz?

Jazz said...

I think I have a few of the lower resolution discs left, if I can find them. I'll check in a day or so.