Wednesday, August 5, 2009

One man's suffering finished

Ken passed on last night shortly after 9 my (central) time. I had spoken with my sister less than an hour before this and she said at that time that lividity was already taking place, blood pooling in his back. That was an indication that he would not last long. He expired while the family was gathered around him praying, his long ordeal finished.

I remember talking with him just before he had his cancer surgery. He wasn't sure what the outcome would be, as many people die from that kind of cancer. But he was philosophical about it.

"I can't lose either way," he said. "If I survive, then of course that's good and I go right along with my family here. If I die, I get to see my mother and daddy and my sons again. How can I lose?"

I suppose that's a good way to look at it if you're a true believer as he was. I am not especially afraid of death, though the process itself is a little intimidating. But I'd like to stay around as long as I'm functional and not a burden on others.

So I will find out later today about the funeral arrangements. I suspect it will be either Friday or Saturday, so my brothers and I will probably make the six hour drive either tomorrow or the next day. I'm not looking forward to it, but it's just one of those things we have to endure at times.

And as if compounding the problems yesterday, we had very bad weather last night. At one point, the National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for McKenzie and the siren up the road was going like hell. I got out and shot some video of the ugly clouds before the rain started. I have it on Facebook but I think only members can see it. I might later upload it to YouTube and if so I'll add a link.

(Where the hell is my brain? I can upload it here directly and here it is below.)


3 comments:

Dennis said...

I hate to hear of Kenneth's death, but from what you had told me he is in a better place and his suffering is over.

Good video of the bad storm last night. You need to make a new barbecus video for me to watch.

Have a safe trip.


Dennis

Jazz said...

Funeral is Friday morning, so guess we'll leave out tomorrow. Dread it.

Yeah, next time I use the smoker might shoot some more video. Haven't shot much of anything lately.

Anonymous said...

Again, sorry Ken died.

I think Ken was right. We're waiting either way. We're either waiting here to join the ones we love who passed away, or we're waiting there to join the ones we love who haven't.

A man dies, but what a man is never dies. Not if what he is is good. The best of him goes on.

Death still scares me, but not as much as it did when I was an atheist. I pity those who have absolutely no hope of anything but extinction. Their last moments must be sheer terror and agony.