Friday, July 31, 2009

Update

I finished up the untitled "vampire" book yesterday. I put vampire in quotes because it is not a typical novel about such mythical creatures, as I understand that genre. It's more of a morality tale with some characters who are vampires and it seems that the undead are very much like the living when it comes to relationships and personal interactions. With, of course, a bit more "bite."

I have started at least a score of novels over the years. I've finished exactly three. The first happened in 1977 and involved a book I called "Long Dan Thunder & The Rolling Rest Stop Revue." It's about a bunch of Southern beer joint musicians who decided to take to the road in an old school bus and play in rest areas along the Interstate in hopes of becoming famous. One of them does become a big celebrity finally, but not for playing music.

It's an amusing story somewhat in the tradition of Tom Robbins. I had a good bite on it from one of those big New York publishing houses. I was asked to submit more chapters and did so. Won't go into what happened or the bridges I burned in that fiasco, but suffice to say my drunken "kiss my ass" attitude did not serve me well.

That was about the same time that I submitted a movie idea to Mayf Nutter and got the go-ahead from Mayf personally, because he very much liked the idea. Of course, I got drunk and loaded and celebrated my pending success for several months, or until the opportunity had well passed.

I've had chances galore, I just pissed them all away.

Anyway, I'm going to take a few days off the novel and then return with a vengeance. I will start a new book and work on polishing the one just finished. I can't think of a much better way to occupy my time, though I certainly shall work in a day or two of fishing when the weather permits.

Later in the year, around Thanksgiving, I'm going to California for a few weeks. Get back on the old stomping grounds, see the family, former in-laws and some old buddies. Maybe an old girlfriend or two, who the hell knows. It's been 12 years since I was there last, so I'm long overdue.



No comments: