Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hardhead

I fell full length Friday and struck my forehead on a commode rim. It didn't knock me out, but it did stun me somewhat. I've only been knocked out once in my life, though I've carried some mighty blows to the head and face. I was stunned once in similar fashion when I slid a motorcycle off into a ditch at about 75 and was ejected. Over the handlebars. Over a fence. No helmet. I landed about 50 feet out in a field, on my face, and for about five seconds I was addled. I always figured the only thing that saved me was the fifth of Johnnie Walker I'd consumed in the couple hours before the accident. Limber and all, you know.

I don't count the time I was knocked out by electricity. That was aboard ship. I grabbed an electrical connection while we were washing down the ship. I was soaking wet and standing in about two inches of water. It was a 440-volt cable. I was out several minutes after that mishap. Had weird "visions" or something during that time, like a strange dream. I don't know why it didn't kill me, it should have. But then, lots of things I've done should have.

Anyway, had a great weekend visit with my lady friend. Even found the time to finish the afterword; well, not finish it actually. What I did was shitcan what I had written, about 2,500 words, and wrote a new one. About 1,100 words that say what I needed to say.

So, taking it easy for a few days, until I get the next edits back. May do a little housekeeping; God knows, it's due. Or, I could sit here and look at this fucking 35-degree gloom outside the window.

This weather is wearing me out. I'm yearning for those first warm days of spring, so I can unwrap the smoker and fire up some hickory. Maybe pop a beer or three. Wet a fishing line. Just sit on the porch and breathe fresh air, instead of this lung-clogging fog of smoke I'm perpetually surrounded by in here.

Oh well, all things come to pass. And that's good.

4 comments:

Dennis said...

I understand that you made it with your encounter with the commode. But how did the commode look after an encounter with you. I like you am tired of this crappy weather and I can't wait to fire up the grill. About time when you fire up the grill to let me sample some of the 'fixings'. Just kidding. Glad you had a wonderful weekend except for the encounter with the commode.

Jazz said...

Man, don't think I knocked even the slightest dent in that porcelain. *L Can't say the same for my head, or the back of my right hand, which hit something sharp.

I'll get you (and Ann) over sometimes when I'm cooking up some butts. I know, you've got your own fancy smoker now, good rig, but the old boy might still show you a trick or two. *L

Dennis said...

I am quite sure that you can show me a trick or two. I am always willing to learn and I know you would be a good teacher. We need to get together as I have just purchase a new digital camera. I have had Minolta and Nikon SLR 35mm film cameras but this digital is a first for me. I purchased a Canon Powershot sx20is. We had a cheaper Kodak digital but decided I wanted a better camera and I know you are a photography master. Have a great day.

Jazz said...

I don't know much about that camera. Looked up a review on it and it appears to be a damned good one, however. You should be able to make some great pictures with it, and it has outstanding HD video as well, according to the review.

Hell, about the only thing I'm qualified to teach anybody is how to drink whiskey. And most folks don't need to know that. *L