Sunday, February 14, 2010

The beat goes on

About halfway through the first markup returned by my editor. Many suggestions I have used, some not. We've decided to go through this process twice more and call it a day; no point in fighting it six times as we did last time. I've discovered the end is where you say it is. Anything else is pissing into the wind.

Valentine's Day. Oddly enough, won't be seeing my woman today. She came last Sunday and stayed until Thursday, although she'd planned to go back home Monday. Weather, icy roads. We sort of agreed that I should get this book done before we get together again; I just can't work on it when she's around. Well, I agreed to that anyway. She wasn't real happy.

I suspect we will get together again before it's completely finished. Although I treasure solitude (always have), I miss her when she's gone. Not just the sex, though that's part of it. I miss that smile, that odd little giggle. The way she gets all excited about certain things and, like a child, doesn't try to contain that excitement. The way she can discuss almost anything, because she's very smart. She thinks I'm a genius, but she's the one with the college degrees. As I told her, the fact that I can answer most of the questions on "Jeopardy" before the contestants do just means I know a lot of trivia, not that I'm intelligent.

It's a fairly settled fact that I will never marry again; twice is once too many. But I have lived with a couple of women since my last divorce and that is not out of the question.

I'm pondering it now, that possibility. Indeed, I could clean out the "junk room" (years ago the back porch was enclosed and converted into a very small extra bedroom) and make an office back there. A place where I could write without being disturbed too much. Clearing all the clutter out of that space would be a daunting task, but not impossible. Not fun, though, and most of it would have to go into the trash because I have no free space.

This desire to have someone else around may be more of a product of age than anything else. As I've grown older I have become much more reclusive. At some point, mere solitude wanders over into loneliness. I think that's where I'm beginning to find myself, venturing into that territory. From what I can see, it's a hostile land, a place I don't care to explore too deeply. I don't want to wind up like another old codger I know, pretending that "art" replaces what he really craves--companionship and the love of a woman.

We'll see. I've lived long enough to know that things frequently don't work out as we wish. The best laid plans, many a slip twixt....

All that jazz.


(Later, 3:45 p.m.)

She called around noon, after I posted the above. Wanted me to come over today and spend the night. I wasn't prepared to go anywhere today, so begged off. Said I'd come over tomorrow and stay the night.

Sometime later, saw the weather forecast. Winter weather advisory, snow coming in tonight; indeed, the drizzle has started already. Tomorrow it won't get above 30 so the roads will be screwed. I called her back, postponed things until Tuesday. Warming up a bit then (upper 30s anyway) so I should be able to make it without a problem. It's only 30 something miles.

I said we'd likely see one another before the book was finished. I was right.

I should have said, "several times" before the book is finished.

That would be right, too.


1 comment:

Jazz said...

Another change in plans. Snowing this morning and now will barely get above freezing today and tomorrow. So, will delay the visit until Friday and then spend the weekend.

This is the worst winter we've had in many years. I'll be damned happy to see it gone.