Thursday, October 15, 2009

Little "going forward" (hate that BS term)

Wish I could report (not that anybody gives a rat's ass) that the revision work is zooming along and I am near completion. I could report that, but it would be a damned big lie.

Truth is, I haven't opened the file in several days. However, I have not abandoned the project and it will get done eventually, by the time I said it would. I've just had a lot of other things on my mind that have taken my attention away temporarily.

At least I have my travel reservations made now. I'll leave Nashville November 17 for San Diego and come back December 8. Three weeks should be long enough for a good visit.

I recall the good old days of air travel when one could board a plane and then get off it at the destination. That doesn't seem to be the case in many instances nowadays. On the outbound flight, I had a choice of layovers and switches in Atlanta, Charlotte, NC, Detroit or Minneapolis.

Screw the first two, because that's traveling east to go west and the total time of the trip was way too long. Detroit was out because I don't particularly want to get robbed, stabbed or shot while I wait to get the hell out of Dodge. So, I'll be spending about an hour and a half in Minnesota before I load up for the Golden West. That should give me ample time to smoke a half pack and drink a couple of $10 beers.

Returning requires a side trip to Cincinnati and an hour and a half layover before I get back to Nashville. Arriving around 8:30 in the evening is going to place a burden upon whomever I can con into retrieving me.

Another thing that mystifies me is why it costs about 50-percent more to fly out of Memphis to the same destination. The connections certainly are no better, and from here the distance to the two airports is just about equal. If I could have gotten a nonstop out of Memphis I would have gladly paid the difference, however.

This rotten weather hasn't contribute much to a sense of well-being or a desire to do anything. It's been about 20-degrees below the normal highs for this time of year, gloomy and wet. Staring out at the gloom through the window to my right makes me want to draw the shade, but at least the rain has stopped for now.

If this portends what's to come, we're in for a much nastier winter than we've had in recent years, though last winter made a good start in that direction.

At least it will make the natural gas company happy.

No comments: