Saturday, October 10, 2009

Flexible plans

Damn, I had planned to go to the VFW tonight and have what we call a "big time" down south. You know you've had that when you wake up with your clothes on inside out and vomit on your brogans. However, woke up coughing this morning and with a nose so blocked I can hardly get any oxygen. It's not noon yet and it might clear up before 7 or so, but if it doesn't that pretty much kicks my plans in the ass. Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men . . . and Jazzbo, eh.

I haven't had any sort of cold or flu in five years. I remember that well because the last time I told someone that, five years ago, I woke up the next morning with a horrible case of flu; talk about irony, it was thick then. So I'm probably risking sickness again even by commenting that I haven't had those bugs for five years. Not bad for an old asshole who thinks three packs of smokes and a 12-pack is healthy living.

It probably is, considering I used to smoke five packs a day and drink a quart of whiskey. I've calmed waaaaaaaaaaaay down.

The book revision is not coming along worth a damn. I'm just into it in fits and starts, can't get a handle on what I need to do. I should have been working on it this morning; I got up at 5. But hell, I decided the kitchen curtains needed washing so I did that instead. You can imagine how bad something is when you forestall it by laundering fucking curtains!

Right now, I'm watching the Vols and Georgia go at it. It's 7-0 Vols in the opening stanza, but that's meaningless, can change in a hurry. (Before I could finish, Georgia ran a kickoff all the way back to even the score. See what I was talking about?) Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass if they win or not. Well hell, that's not exactly true; I hope they win, but I won't be upset if they don't.

I've gotten to that point where I don't expect anything of them, which is a good point to arrive at if you're a football fan in Tennessee. I'm just sayin' . . . .

2 comments:

Jazz said...

I might note that five years ago when I told someone I hadn't had a cold or flu, that was for a period of 7 years. Most people I know get at least 4 a year.

Jazz said...

Hmmm., not quite 2 and I've got about 7 brewskis down my neck and doncha know I'm feeling somewhat better. Damn, think I'm gonna make it!