Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dreading Monday more than usual

I haven't mention it here, but I'm slated to be interviewed Monday morning by the production company behind the "Women Behind Bars" series on WEtv. Not only that, but their last request was that I stick with them throughout the afternoon and serve as a guide to all the sites pertinent to the story they are doing.

As luck would have it, they are constructing a program featuring Teresa Deion Harris, a woman serving life without parole in the Tennessee Department of Corrections. Yes, the same Deion Harris who participated in the murder of Dennis Brooks, Jr. -- and the crime I'm writing the book about. So, while I'm not real up on doing this kind of thing, I saw it as perhaps an excellent opportunity to work in a plug for my upcoming book -- which is about a third through its first revision at this point.

I think the young lady producer thought I was joking when I told her I had a face more fitting for radio and a voice better suited to telegraph. I'm not really comfortable doing these on-camera things, as anyone who has seen me do a video poetry reading can well attest. It's just not my thing.

But, I shall try to get through it best as I can. Complicating things, especially questions that may arise, is the fact that a couple days ago I discovered a huge discrepancy in the scenario of the murder as played out both in statements and testimony. In short, I (and apparently every other writer who covered the case, along with all the lawyers involved) missed one tiny little fact that makes the accepted version of what happened impossible.

I'm not going to get into what it is at this point, but suffice to say I will try to get in touch with one of the investigators on the original case this weekend and certainly will have to clarify this problem before the book is published. It's just another one of those unexpected hassles that always seem to complicate things.

We don't get WEtv on our local cable system. However, my brother gets it on his Dish satellite and he will record it for me whenever the show comes on, which will be somewhere down the road; possible after the first of the year and fairly in sync with my book. That would be a stroke of good fortune, indeed.

2 comments:

Dennis said...

So you are going to be interviewed on TV for you vast knowledge of the Brooks murder. I am wondering how they knew to contact you, but as I know by now...you never cease to amaze me. Good luck and I know you will do a great interview.

Jazz said...

They've talked to several people already and somebody told them I was an "expert" on the case. I told two different producers I didn't claim to be an expert, but I probably knew more about the entire case than anybody else. . .hell, maybe that makes me an expert! *heh

I'll just have to do the best I can, though I'm not really looking forward to it.