Monday, July 27, 2009

Memory? What Memory?

I was struck by a sudden revelation this morning. This week is the end of July and sometime before Friday, I must shag ass over to Huntingdon and renew my annual auto registration.

I'm not sure why I thought I had until the end of August to do that. Might be a sign of incipient senility, or it could be that August was the month I had for the old Chrysler. Yes, it could be that. Or it could be that I just don't pay enough attention to things anymore, unless they involve the snap sound of a can tab popping open.

Hell fire, while checking the date a moment ago, it also dawned on me that I forgot my brother, Jerry's, birthday Saturday. We always call one another at least to wish them a happy birthday, as everyone called me July 19. Last year, I forgot that of my brother, Ed, for about a month afterward.

Of course, this past Saturday I was busy as hell with that barbecuing and all, but that's just an excuse. It doesn't take five minutes to make a phone call. I just didn't remember it and that is troublesome.

Forgetting something like that might not sound like a big deal to most people. But it is to me. Both my brothers have gone out of their way to assist me with things I have difficulty doing now, because I'm older and not as physically able as I once was. When the wind blew two trees down in my back yard a couple years ago, Jerry was over here immediately with his chain saw, cutting them up into pieces. He then brought one of his big trailers and two men to load the mess up and haul it off. I offered to pay him, but he wouldn't accept anything and said the men owed him some labor for something he had swapped them anyway.

Ed has helped me with similar situations, too. And both make sure I have meals on holidays and such, and just randomly bring me things; recently, Ed showed up with a case of beer and Jerry brought me a bunch of cake. I have a standing invitation to use his in-ground pool any time I want (I never do anymore, because of the breathing difficulties; one lap and I would hyper-ventilate and drown), and he gave me a key to his farm gate so that I could fish in the pond whenever I wanted. I could name dozens more by both, but you get the picture.

Long story short, I'm very tight with the family I have left. There are few of us: two brothers, a sister, and an aunt and uncle, by marriage. Everybody else is gone.

I used to use the "Calendar" feature on MS Works for such things. You can log all that info on dates in and on the listed dates a little reminder box pops up when you fire up the computer.

When you have shit for brains as I apparently do, that's probably a good option.

No comments: