Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Clean, Jazzbo, clean!

I'm not having a whole lot of luck with my big house cleaning plans for today.

Not to say that I haven't made an effort. I work about 15 minutes and then take a 30-minute "smoke break," which makes it difficult to accomplish a whole hell of a lot. Well, I combined one of those smoke breaks with work to bundle up a copy of PB which was ordered this morning by a lady in Alabama. I used a bit more of it to request some bucks from Paypal for book sales, which I haven't done in some time. I don't believe that will put me up in the danger area with the new proposed taxes for higher income folks, however.

I have needed to do some housekeeping for some time now. Last time I gave things a good once-over was before my sister came to visit a couple months ago. I don't mean to imply that I haven't lifted a hand since, but truth is, what I've done has been sort of cursory and slight. About the only time I can seem to really get my ass in gear with the cleaning is when I know I'm going to have company.

And I'm having some this coming weekend. We plan to smoke some pork butt and drink some beer, maybe do a video of poetry reading on the "poach" if she brings some poems. It's gonna be rather warm this weekend and with a chance of isolated thundershowers, but I'll have that smoker fired up fairly early Saturday morning and I will have a couple cases of beer in the ice and cooling down. I may--or may not--run to Paris in the next couple of days and pick up a jug or two of Beam and some wine. If I do that, I might ought to call the hospital first and see if they can get me a standby slot on the liver transplant list.

I'll probably make a small batch of potato salad and baked beans, too. I could buy some, but not any as good as I can make. I will buy the slaw made, however. I can make it, just don't like to screw with it and it never turns out that great anyway.

Barbecuing (and I'm not talking about "grilling") is a hell of a lot of fun to me, but a bunch of work. It takes hours on low heat, but it's worth the effort if things go right. I have to remember to get some hickory chips because I am completely out. Without that hickory smoke, you can't make real pulled pork barbecue. I've got plenty of homemade vinegar based sauce--the kind you put on the finished sandwich, not what you put on the meat pre-cooking. I don't mess with sauce on the meat prior to cooking, just give it a good dry rub with a number of spices. Think this time I'm going to brine it overnight, something I don't normally do.

Well, hell, this smoke break has run waaaaay overtime. Best get my ass back in the saddle. . .or on the vacuum anyway. Hate that noisy son of a bitch! They can make whisper-quiet helicopters that will fly over your head at 500 feet almost unnoticed.

Why in hell can't they do that with a vacuum cleaner?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really need to do some serious house cleaning. I mean, like a straight month of going through every nook and cranny.

You Southern guys know how to do up a barbeque right. My idea of barbequing is to burn some patties over a charcoal flame.

You are soooo right about vacuum cleaners too. If I want some alone time, I take out the vacuum, and it sends wife, daughter, and cat running to other rooms.

--Jim V

Jazz said...

Well, Jim, barbecue is a way of life in the South. What you're doing is grilling. I do that too, with burgers and steaks and chops, but that doesn't work with pork butt, shoulder or beef brisket. Long, slow and low is the words for that stuff, with lots of smoke the first couple or three hours.

I hate the sound of a vac, and what's worse, mine is malfunctioning somehow. It doesn't pick up worth a crap anymore and heats up real fast, so guess I'll be buying a new one shortly.