Monday, November 23, 2009

Booze, or the lack thereof

I have had almost nothing to drink the past week (one drink on the plane, one beer since I’ve been here) and damned if I don’t feel better for it. Truth is, I haven’t even wanted to drink -- which is probably more because of the fact that I’ve been around people every day and doing this and that and not simply sitting on my ass alone somewhere, than it is because of some deep-seated need to stop drinking. Fact is, I haven’t even thought about that, it’s just the way it is right now.

Course, it may be a different story when I get home. There, confronted with that damned manuscript I have to revise, I may decide I need to deaden what’s left of my brain (as if I haven’t deadened it enough for more than a half century). And, the kind of company I’m apt to have drinks too.

What the hell, who knows? This brief respite from booze might go on for the next two weeks. I might decide I never want another drink. Or, I might get drunk tomorrow.

Whatever the case, I’m enjoying it now. Haven’t felt this good in many years.

I guess it’s all a case of how much feeling good a guy can stand.

2 comments:

Dennis said...

I am glad that you are having a great time in California with your family. Just wanted to wish you and your family a "Happy Thanksgiving"!!! Don't forget your way back to Tennessee as I am sure that Governor Arnold isn't ready for Jazzbo as of yet.

Jazz said...

Thanks, Dennis, hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving as well. I think Arnold would run me out of California right now if he knew I was here. *L I sure won't forget when Tennessee is, though I am enjoying my stay here very much. This first week has breezed by in a hurry.