Monday, November 15, 2010

Winter arrives just ahead of a visitor

Winter seems to be making a bit of an appearance here on the rolling plains of northwestern Tennessee. Not brutal, but when that thermometer dips below freezing my old ass begins to suffer in serious fashion. And, to complicate things, if I turn up enough heat to keep the bod warm, I can't breathe worth a damn. Catch 22 for damned certain, but what can you do.

Have a visitor coming to see me this weekend after four years of conversing on the Internet and by phone. Liz Kilgo, a singer/songwriter, is coming down from Nashville with her manager to meet up with me. Liz is a good singer/songwriter and a lovely person. I've also done some conversing with Ric, her manager, who's a hell of a nice guy and good musician...he's her guitar man as well. Should be a fun time.

A friend recently tipped me off to a good, but cheap, bourbon he discovered, "Benchmark." Being on SS, I no longer drink the Johnnie Black and more expensive shit I used to buy without thinking twice. Lately, I've been drinking Kentucky Tavern, which is OK but not quite as smooth as it could be.

I bought some Benchmark in Paris Friday and damned it was everything Mike said it was; I wound up drinking half a 1.75 bottle Friday night, all in shots with no mixer. Had a little bit of a head problem Saturday morning, but nothing an Advil couldn't kick. At $15 a big bottle, can't beat it.

No comments: